Portfolio Tutorial wi Mark Howe

Had a portfolio tutorial with Mark Howe today which was...interesting! Mark is primarily an illustrator and his work doesnt have a lot in common with mine, but I wasn't quick enough to sign up for all the popular tutorials this week and I figure at the end of the day it can only help. So here's my notes from the tutorial:



Mark was nice and helpful, though I got the feeling he didn't like my work ha. But there are 3 main things he said to me that really stuck:

1) black and White is hard to get right

By my own admission at a point last module I kinda just left my lost posters because I'd had enough of them. Mark said when you do black and White it has to be really in the money because it's more difficult to get it right.

2) Don't be afraid to revisit old briefs to make changes

There's no shame in returning to an old brief to put something right or change it to make sure when it does go in your portfolio it's as up to scratch and impressive as possible.

3) Let your work breathe

My portfolio boards are pretty packed, and mark just pointed out that I need to spend a little more time on the layout of my boards and giving my work room to breathe. It doesn't need to be full on explosion of images, just be more considerate and give the images plenty of room so it's not so much an assault on the senses.

There were a couple of projects he just flat out didnt like either so i dont quite know whether to take that as subjective opinion or if they are in fact crap.

Overally I thought it went really well especially considering it was my first if these kind of meetings/surgeries so it's onwards and upwards, time to make some changes to my portfolio...

0 comments:

Post a Comment